THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!!



CLICK HERE

FOR THE NEW ALL-INCLUSIVE


'DISHING WITH DONNA SHOW' WEBSITE & BLOG.



www.dishingwithdonna.co














The "Dishing with Donna" Show is Atlanta's Only Celebrity Food, Wine and Restaurant Radio Program. Listen every Saturday @ 4:00pm on WGKA Talk 920am to hear Donna entertain listeners with celebrity interviews such as Paula Deen, Guy Fieri, or Ted Allen - as well as the exclusive inside scoop into Atlanta's very own restaurant scene.




Listen "Live" Every Saturday at 4:00pm on WGKA 920am

Email Donna Directly @

God Bless Each and Every One of You!

Proverbs 3:5-6

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My favorite VETERAN




For Memorial Day,  I was tearfully proud to introduce my grandfather - Navy Petty Officer Donzell Geddie of World War II - to come talk with me on my radio show about the food rationing and experiences of his war era.  At almost 90 years young,  my grandfather ("Grandaddy") fascinated listeners with a personal account of spam dinners and waiting for the ships to bring in their once-in-a-blue-moon treat ... steak.   He also told the story of how he and his fellow navy men would sit on their boats close to the shore of Papau New Guinea and watch as the tribal natives would feast on beetle-nut and other questionable foods.  As other military branches were being served merely potatoes and bread,  my grandfather got to eat lots of hot dogs,  which I thought was humorous. 
He didn't sound nervous at all,  even after saying  "Well it's only taken me 90 years to get on the radio".  I tell my grandfather all the time that he is going to live forever and he's not allowed to leave me.  But deep in my heart,  I know that this was a moment for me to share with him that I will personally treasure even after he's gone. 
He still loves to cook!  He cooks every single day.  In these pictures,  I am walking him through my easy-step dessert cobbler.  He chose fried apple.  His favorite.


(Yes.  We ARE blood related.  This is not a joke.  I know the coloring looks 'off'.  --- I lean much more to my father's side of the family.  The Puerto Rican side!  Hence,  I'm brown.  My mother? - Looks like these up-to-no-gooders!)   ;-) 
I cannot thank our fellow men and women in the service enough for their valor, courage, patriotism, and willingness to protect me,  protect you, and protect our country.  GOD BLESS EACH AND EVERY ONE YOU.   Past or present,  the honor lives on through the ages.  My grandfather bravely served in World War II,  and now I have friends serving overseas this very moment.   (wonder what they're eating ....)  So in honor of Memorial Day Weekend,  I devoted my entire radio program around the food economy, rations, and recipes from all the different wars America fought in throughout history.   It was fascinating!!   I'm going to attempt another blog on the information I aired during the show.   -- It's alot of 411.
Oh!!!!  And one more thing . . . . . . . .



Yeah.  That means me.    ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment